Andrew Omoding’s work is intuitive and instinctive. He buzzes around the studio, exploring cupboards and shelves for buried treasures, which he uses to create large-scale sculptural forms, using his tacit knowledge of form, shape and construction to add and discard elements as he works. Andrew builds up his creations by systematic layering, wrapping and attaching, adding textile swatches, painted patterns and textures to complete the piece.
Much of Andrew’s work involves story telling and performance, incorporating music and both written and spoken language. Andrew weaves, sews, threads, constructs, hammers and screws materials together merging with and becoming part of the work while simultaneously singing and telling stories.
Andrew’s work is personal, sometimes autobiographical and always intriguing.
“I consider Andrew Omoding one of the most interesting and talented artists working at the moment.” – Marc Steene, Director, Outside In
Andrew Omoding was artist in residence at Camden Arts Centre (3 June – 28 July 2019) and was awarded a Developing your Creative Practice Award from Arts Council England to support his residency.
In 2020 Andrew was awarded a 6 week residency at the Barbican Arts Group Trust as part of the ArtWorks Open 2020 awards. The residency will take place in the Summer of 2021 at their Blackhorse Lane studios.
- ArtWorks Open 2020, Barbican Arts Group Trust, 2020 (group show)
- The Future Is Loading, Shape Open, 2020 (group show)
- Prints! Project Ability, 2019 (group show)
- Patterns of My Mind, The Out There Art Fair, Cockpit Arts Winter Open Studios, 2019 (group show)
- EXPLORERS Conference: Art, Rights and Representation, MK Gallery, 2019
- It’s My Work, Come see, come see, Open Studio at Camden Arts Centre, 2019
- Art is Part of The Equation, Royal Academy, 2019 (group show)
- Art, Materiality and Representation, Royal Anthropological Institute, 2018
- Spring Syllabus, J Hammond Projects, 2018 (group show)
- can’t take my eyes off you, Project Ability Gallery, 2018 (group show)
- Outside In: Journeys, Sotheby’s, 2018 (group show)
- The Out There Art Fair, Cockpit Arts Christmas Open Studios, 2017 (group show)
- The Manchester Contemporary, Manchester Convention Center, 2017 (group show)
- HOUSE / Outside In Co-Commission, Common Threads, Phoenix Brighton, 2017 (duo show)
- Radical Craft: Alternative Ways of Making, Aberystwyth Arts Centre, 2017 (group show)
- Radical Craft: Alternative Ways of Making, The Barony Centre, 2017 (group show)
- summer / no summer, The Geddes Gallery, 2017 (group show)
- Radical Craft: Alternative Ways of Making, Tullie House Museum and Art Gallery, 2017 (group show)
- Radical Craft: Alternative Ways of Making, Pallant House Gallery, 2017 (group show)
- The Out There Art Fair, Cockpit Arts Christmas Open Studios, 2016 (group show)
- The Village School Exhibition, The Library at Willesden Green, 2016 (with The Village School students)
- Shop of Curiosity, The Geddes Gallery, 2016 (group show)
- Oh Wow! 32 Responses to Colour and Light, Cockpit Arts Summer Open Studios, 2014 (group show)
- Pump House Open, Pump House Gallery, 2013 (group show)
- I Was Framed, Cockpit Arts Christmas Open Studios, 2013 (group show)
- Shape Open on tour, The Nunnery Gallery; The Chocolate Factory; LCB Depot, Leicester; Lewisham Arthouse, 2013 (group show)
- Dreamcatcher. Moment in Time. Part of Shape in the City, Gracechurch Street, 2013 (group show)
- Unwrapped, Cockpit Arts Christmas Open Studios, 2013 (group show)
- Man Climbing a Later, part of “Adopting Britain” Exhibition at Southbank Centre 2015.
Workshop Leader in the Partnership Project with The Village School, 2015
It’s My Work, Come See, Come See film created in collaboration with film maker Posy Dixon
Bibliography / Press
Marchand, Trevor H.J. (2016) The Art of Andrew Omoding.