My work is primarily large scale acrylic paintings and pastel drawings. I explore my everyday experiences and the situations I find myself in. I then use these observations to create flat and patterned compositions.
My use of colour has been described as spontaneous, using my palette to express the feelings and emotions I want to create. I use recognisable symbols in my work to give visual references to the subjects I’ve chosen. They are like news images in a “more abstract” than true to life way.
I have nurtured an interest in art and art history, with references like Frank Auerbach and Chris Ofili, whilst visiting exhibitions across London.
My recent work is inspired by the inequalities of society and what is happening in the world around me, in regards to politics, social change, marginalisation and the impact that Covid and the lockdowns had on our society.
We live by rules and regulations that say you can’t do this and you can’t do that. In my paintings I am trying to tell people how this makes me feel.
Thompson Hall is a resident artist at our Cockpit studio.
- Making Together, Royal Society of Sculptors, 2023
- Held in Hope, Imperial Health Charity: St Mary’s Hospital, Charing Cross Hospital and Hammersmith Hospital, 2023
- Inequality, Marginalisation and Social Change Billboards, Autograph, London, 2022
- Thompson Hall: Digital Display, Old Street, London, 2022
- Art & Activism, Outside In, Online Exhibition, 2021 (group show)
- Lockdown Legacy, Online Exhibition, 2020
- Prints, Project Ability, 2019 (group show)
- The Out There Art Fair: Patterns of My Mind, Cockpit Arts Winter Open Studios, 2019 (group show)
- Art & Protest: What’s there to be mad about?, Bethlem Gallery, 2019 (group show)
- Where The Heart Is, Cockpit Arts Summer Open Studios, 2019 (group show)
- The Residency Show, Project Ability, Glasgow, 2019 (group show)
- My Life in London, Project Ability, Glasgow, 2019
- Art is Part of The Equation, Royal Academy, 2019 (group show)
- My Life in London, Southbank Centre, 2018
- My Life in London, The Koppel Project Hive, 2018
- The Out There Art Fair, Cockpit Arts Christmas Open Studios, 2016 (group show)
- Home Away From Home, The Regency Town House, Hove, 2016 (solo show)
- Shop of Curiosity, Geddes Gallery, 2016 (group show)
- Manipulated Material: Responses to the Medium of Paint, Cockpit Arts Christmas Open Studios, 2015 (group show)
- Postcards of Glasgow, Project Ability, 2015 (solo show)
- In Practice, Royal Academy of Art, 2014 (presentation)
- Postcards from Brighton, Brighton Dome, 2014 (solo exhibition)
- Oh Wow! 32 Responses to Colour and Light, Cockpit Arts Summer Open Studios, 2014 (group show)
- I Was Framed, Cockpit Arts Christmas Open Studios, 2013 (group show)
- Dreamcatcher. Moment in Time, Shape in the City, Gracechurch Street, 2012-2013 (group show)
Workshops & Talks
- EXPLORERS II Conference, Tate Liverpool, 2022
- In Conversation with director of Autograph, Dr Mark Sealy, Studio Voltaire, 2021
- ‘Collective and intedependent approaches to art making’, Autograph, 2021
- Harsh Light Webinar, Bloc Projects, Online, 2020
- EXPLORERS Conference: Art, Rights and Representation, MK Gallery, November 2019
- City of Heroes for #PurpleLightUp: Create, British Museum, 2019
- #PurpleLightUp: Create, British Museum, 2018
Commissions & Awards
Press & Publications
- Thompson Hall: Colour is My Signature, Autograph monograph, (upcoming)
- Thompson Hall’s Autograph Residency: Cheerful Colours but Challenging Themes, Michael McEwan, Disability Arts Online, 8 August 2022
- An Artist of Our Time for Our Time, Michal Boncza, Morning Star, 12 May 2022
- Thompson Hall In Conversation, Jennifer Lauren Gallery, June 2021
- Thompson Hall, Artist film, SHIFT Platform, 2021
- Neurodiverse and Disabled Artists are Joining the Mainstream – Yet Discrimination Persists, Tess Thackara, The Art Newspaper, 9 August 2021
- Top Ten Virtual Shows Across the UK and Ireland, Mimi Chu, Frieze, 2021