Thompson Hall works primarily in acrylic paint and pastel. A frequent visitor of museums and galleries, he sketches the urban landscape and uses these observations to create flat and patterned compositions. Hall has a nurtured interest in art and art history, citing references like Auerbach and studying the free exhibitions across London intently.
His use of colour is spontaneous, using his palette to express the feelings and emotions a space can create. Describing his depictions as “more abstract” than true to life, Thompson Hall’s interpretations of buildings and places are windows into his experience and history.
Recently Hall has turned his eye to what is happening in the world around him, politics, social change, marginalisation. He says “we live by rules and regulations that say you can’t do this and you can’t do that. In my paintings I am trying to tell people how this makes me feel.”
Thompson Hall was awarded an Unlimited Emerging Artists co-comission with Ian Wornast to create the exhibition, My Life in London at The Koppel Project Hive.
Thompson Hall is a resident artist at ActionSpace’s Cockpit Arts studio.
- Lockdown Legacy, Online Exhibition, 2020
- Prints, Project Ability, 2019 (group show)
- The Out There Art Fair: Patterns of My Mind, Cockpit Arts Winter Open Studios, 2019 (group show)
- Art & Protest: What’s there to be mad about?, Bethlem Gallery, 2019 (group show)
- Where The Heart Is, Cockpit Arts Summer Open Studios, 2019 (group show)
- The Residency Show, Project Ability, Glasgow, 2019 (group show)
- My Life in London, Project Ability, Glasgow, 2019
- Art is Part of The Equation, Royal Academy, 2019 (group show)
- My Life in London, Southbank Centre, 2018
- My Life in London, The Koppel Project Hive, 2018
- The Out There Art Fair, Cockpit Arts Christmas Open Studios, 2016 (group show)
- Home Away From Home, The Regency Town House, Hove, 2016 (solo show)
- Shop of Curiosity, Geddes Gallery, 2016 (group show)
- Manipulated Material: Responses to the Medium of Paint, Cockpit Arts Christmas Open Studios, 2015 (group show)
- Postcards of Glasgow, Project Ability, 2015 (solo show)
- In Practice, Royal Academy of Art, 2014 (presentation)
- Postcards from Brighton, Brighton Dome, 2014 (solo exhibition)
- Oh Wow! 32 Responses to Colour and Light, Cockpit Arts Summer Open Studios, 2014 (group show)
- I Was Framed, Cockpit Arts Christmas Open Studios, 2013 (group show)
- Dreamcatcher. Moment in Time, Shape in the City, Gracechurch Street, 2012-2013 (group show)
- Co-workshop Leader, Friday Afternoon Art Club, Royal Academy of Arts, 2016