Lasmin is predominantly a textile artist with a bold and individual style. She creates mixed media sewn sculptures with an unconventional but ordered feel. She frequently develops large numbers of smaller sewn shapes, which grow over time to form one whole piece. Lasmin often explores several ideas until settling on a style she feels connected with, playing with materials, bending and twisting fabrics until the right shape is made. Lasmin then recreates the shape in many varied forms, meticulously constructing each piece with carefully selected fabrics, pulling them through her fingers to ensure they are the right texture, pattern or weight before embarking on a new piece. There is something exuberant and joyful about Lasmin’s work. You get a real sense of pleasure in the materials Lasmin brings together and a love for the chunky yet delicate objects she creates.
- Open House, Studio Voltaire, 2021 (group show)
- Deviations, House of Annetta, 2021 (group show)
- Thread, elysium gallery, 2021 (group show)
- VITAL MIX: Assembled Lines, Studio RCA, 2019 (group show)
- Threads Contemporary Textile Open, Salisbury Arts Centre, 2016 (group show)
- Voltaire Open, Studio Voltaire, 2016 (group show)
- Watch This Space, Wandsworth Fringe, Southside Shopping Centre 2016
- Radical Craft: Alternative Ways of Making, Pallant House Gallery and on tour, 2016/17 (group show)
- Love the Yarn in collaboration with Celia Pym, Festival of Love at Southbank Centre, 2015
- Watch This Space, Southside Shopping Centre, 2015
- Parallel Lines, Area 44, 2014 (group show)
- Watch This Space, Wandsworth Arts Festival Fringe, Southside Shopping Centre, 2014 (group show)
- Pump House Open, Pump House Gallery, 2013 (group show)
- From SOMEWHERE presents Art Exhibition: In the Balance, London, 2013 (group show)
- Open House, Studio Voltaire, 2013 (group show)
- Side by Side international exhibition, Southbank Centre, 2013 (group show)
Lasmin’s distinctive textiles work has been exhibited in multiple external group shows within contemporary galleries and pop up exhibition spaces alongside both mixed media and textiles artists. In 2021 Lasmin exhibited alongside textile artists Shelly Goldsmith, Raisa Kabir and Shona Robin at the Elysium Gallery, Swansea for ‘Threads’. Lorna Hamilton-Brown curated Lasmin’s work for Threads, selecting significant works such as ‘Quilt’ to exhibit alongside recently created knitted pieces. In 2019 Lasmin exhibited her exquisite miniature cushions within detailed photographic projections of her work as part of ‘Assembled Lines’, an ActionSpace exhibition for the Wandsworth Arts Fringe. In 2016 Lasmin’s ‘Rug’ was selected for the Radical Craft national touring exhibition co-curated by Outside In and CraftSpace. The exhibition toured the UK visiting multiple venues including Aberystwyth Arts Centre, Wales and Tullie House Museum, Carlisle. In 2014 Lasmin was commissioned with textile artist Celia Pym to develop an installation for the Festival of Love at the Southbank Centre. Together Lasmin and Celia developed the ‘Yarn Mountain’ based around their shared love of knitting and invited the public to join them knit from the mountain.
During the pandemic lockdown in 2021 Lasmin revisited her passion for knitting and led weekly ActionSpace social Zoom knit sessions, sharing her prolific knitting practice with ActionSpace’s artist network. The sessions proved a unique moment each week to catch up with friends and share the making process as creative companions whilst each artist remotely developed their own knitting and sewing practice alongside Lasmin. During the sessions Lasmin created multiple, extensive knitting lengths with varied coloured wools, which she has continued to work on in the ActionSpace studio at Studio Voltaire. A selection of these knitted pieces were exhibited in 2021’s ‘Thread’s’ exhibition.