Abdul Jalil’s work reflects his interest in comic book characters, superheroes, horror films, natural history and transport. He draws mostly in felt pen, using bright and primary colours whilst carefully thinking about each image and composition. He works from memory, making images of his everyday life, portraits of characters and animals, and scenes informed by visits to museums, the cinema, TV and books. Words are very important to Abdul: he transcribes words and phrases from billboards, TV and films into journals and notebooks. There is a strong narrative and illustrative aspect to his work. His drawings range from stark graphic simplicity to complex narrative pieces, often repeated in different colours, and all linked by his unique gentle humour.
- The Out There Art Fair: Patterns of My Mind, Cockpit Arts Winter Open Studios, 2019 (group show)
- House Of Flying Angel, Winns Gallery, 2019 (group show)
- The Out There Art Fair, Cockpit Arts Winter Open Studios, 2018 (group show)
- Newham Open Studios, ACAVA Studios, 2017
- Learning Disability Art competition, Stratford Circus Arts Centre, 2017
- The Out There Art Fair, Cockpit Arts Christmas Open Studios, 2016 (group show)